Apache Redirect within public_html (~username)

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Fri Apr 30 10:46:28 MDT 2010

>  try junk in the .htaccess to make sure it throws a
> 500.  This simple test will ensure your .htaccess is even being used.

Great point, Scott.  Personally, I disable .htaccess unless I really
need it, because it's a performance hit on every page request.  For any
given request, Apache has to ascend the directory hierarchy for the
site to determine if there's an .htaccess file somewhere in the tree.
If so, it has to be handled-- and if there are multiple .htaccess files
in the tree, I believe they can supplement/override each other.

In general, it's more efficient to put directives in the Apache
configuration directly, but if that's not possible because you don't
have access to it, then .htaccess will work.

$0.02,
Jeff