OT: Dell Laptop For Sale

Tod Hansmann tod at todandlorna.com
Fri Apr 30 10:06:10 MDT 2010

On 4/30/2010 9:46 AM, Josh Coates wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Tod Hansmann <tod at todandlorna.com
> <mailto:tod at todandlorna.com>> wrote:
> >In some circles, it's Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF).
>
> um, no.
> again, not to be pedantic, but MTBF is entirely different than MTTF.
>
> -josh
Technically, the difference is whether or not you fix the thing.
Realistically, MTBF is mostly used incorrectly to refer to MTTF.
Shouldn't be, but is.  People that know what they're talking about
obviously don't have the problem.  So, yeah, we can be pedantic, but
what it should be and what it is are two different things in this case.
Sort of like MDT/MST in time.  Most (not nearly all) people use them for
the same thing, and often incorrectly.

Again, I /totally/ concede that they're different, in the repair/replace
detail.  You know that, and I know that, but most people don't.  Now
PLUG knows, though.

There will be a quiz.  Happy Friday!

-Tod Hansmann