An invitation to #hackUTOS - A Code Festival

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 09:52:51 MDT 2010

Hi all,

This email is being sent to you because we wanted to invite you to
#hackUTOS: A Code Festival on April 24, 2010 at the Novell Open Source
Technology Center in Provo.  We're also interested in spreading the
word quickly about this event by having you share this event with your
community, students, etc.  We'd love it if you would take a moment to
blog, tweet, facebook or send an email to those who you think might
benefit from #hackUTOS.  You can learn more about #hackUTOS at
http://hack.utos.org

I am sure you have a few questions, so let's cover those:

What is #hackUTOS?

#hackUTOS: A Code Festival is a concept that we here at the Utah Open
Source Foundation have been working hard on for a few months.  We
believe that there are plenty of people out in the community who have
great ideas for projects, or are working on great projects, but don’t
have the space or time to work on them.  #hackUTOS is intended to
provide that time, along with food, drink, SWAG and of course, other
folks to help them move it along if they so choose.

How does #hackUTOS work?

#hackUTOS is held in a barcamp style, which means it’s very
participatory.  If you have never been to a barcamp, they are a bit
ad-hoc, crazy, but they really work.  The concept of this barcamp is
to have each project leader present on his/her project for 30-60
seconds on what it is, the language, what help is needed, etc.  After
all projects are presented, each leader will place their project on a
wall or table.  The rest of the community will come by, discuss the
project more with the project leader, and after about 15 minutes,
decide which project they’d like to participate.  Then coding begins.

What if I am not a coder?

#hackUTOS has a project focus for sure, but it definitely doesn’t
exclude those who do not have software development skills.  There will
be opportunities for documentation, testing, marketing and more.

How often does #hackUTOS happen?

#hackUTOS: A Code Festival runs quarterly.  The launch event held
April 24, 2010 and the next will be sometime in July or August.
However, there’s a regular weekly #hackUTOS every Tuesday at Coffee
Connection in Salt Lake City

How long is #hackUTOS?

#hackUTOS will run from 9am to 6pm, registration starts at 8:30am.
The first hour is discussing the ground rules and presenting projects,
the rest is coding.  Breakfast, lunch and snacks will be provided.
There will also be great SWAG from UTOS, XMission and Stackable.com.

Is #hackUTOS for anyone?

If you are interested in participating in the free and open source
community, #hackUTOS is for you.  We encourage anyone to attend and
participate, but we ask that you refrain from bringing small children
or pets to the event.

I want to submit a project before the next #hackUTOS, can I do that?

Absolutely, we love the idea of having a few projects ready for people
to read over before attending the event.  Visit our projects
(http://hack.utos.org/projects) page and add yours today.

Thank you very much for your help in spreading the word about
#hackUTOS - A Code Festival, see you all there.

Cheers,

Clint Savage
Chief Executive, Utah Open Source Foundation