[OT] Salary Negotiations Advice

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Fri Apr 16 09:05:27 MDT 2010

I used to believe this.

A while back I read a summary of a study that looked at the question. The study found that whoever stated a price first set the tone for the entire conversation and had the most influence on the end result. Once a price expectation has been set, it is up to the other person to attempt to meet the expectation or try to change the setter's position. The key is to start high and express a willingness to be flexible.

Also: Don't sell yourself short. Remember that money is a small part of the employment experience. Be confident and willing to walk away if it isn't a good fit. If you aren't in a position to walk away, then don't bother negotiating. Hiring time is not the only time to negotiate salaries--you should have that discussion whenever you are in a strong position (i.e. have other options).

Richard

On Thu 15 April 2010 17:27:21 Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I do recall hearing it said that whoever states a price first loses
> the negotiation. I think it's probably true in many cases.
<snip>