[OT] Salary Negotiations Advice

Tod Hansmann tod at todandlorna.com
Thu Apr 15 18:12:25 MDT 2010

As a mention of bias, I rarely care much about salary beyond that it
pays my bills.  I talked frankly and openly with my last employer and it
seemed to work out fine in both our favors.

That said, I usually wait for prospective employers to bring it up,
because if you bring it up, it never seems positive.  I used to try to
give a range, which would tell me, if an offer came, what they thought
of my skills within that range (it's not the best indicator, mind you).
that range dips slightly below what I'd accept, and goes higher.  If I
were looking for 65k, I'd say something like 62-75k or somesuch.

I have only lost one opportunity over negotiations when I was offered a
ridiculous salary, came back with something reasonable, and got turned
down.  It was literally 8.50/hr for programming during a 4 week
"training" to move up to 11/hr.  I stated a programmer would have to
think themselves worthless if they accepted so low, even for an entry
level.  That was in 2004.

In the end, if they ask, answer honestly.  If they offer X but you need
more, counter with Y that meets your needs, but explain why.  It's silly
to counter only because you think you should counter with something.
That's just greedy, even if indirectly.

$0.02

-Tod Hansmann