[OT] Salary Negotiations Advice

Robert Merrill robertmerrill at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 17:24:08 MDT 2010

Hey Pluggers -- I know this is way off topic, but i'm trying to gather
real-world advice around salary/contract negotiations for a
presentation a colleague of mine is doing.  I put up a blog post (
http://bit.ly/98wvM6 ), but I don't care if you go there or post
here--how do you go about negotiating pay?

- Do you force the issue and bring it up first?
- Do you make them tell you the offer-range before you cough up a number?
- Do you go back with a counteroffer no matter what they come to you with?
- Have you ever LOST a gig/job because your negotiations broke down
and they walked away?

I look forward to your straight thoughts, not sanitized "HR-speak"
that I too-often find myself spewing.

Thanks!
Rob Merrill