[OT] - Net Neutrality Is Marxist?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Apr 14 09:59:01 MDT 2010

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:23:08 GMT
"alpheus.madsen at juno.com" <alpheus.madsen at juno.com> wrote:

> "In our survey of health insurance legislation and regulations, we
> found that regulation of physicians' ability to practise in the
> privately funded sector is complex and diverse across Canada's 10
> provinces...."

I will offer a conjecture that the six provinces that prohibit private
insurance are also the poorest, starting with PEI and Newfoundland &
Labrador.

> The article could be found at
> "http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/164/6/825".  Thus, I'm only 60%
> correct when I parroted something I read a while ago; or more, when
> you consider the red tape involved in the remaining 40% significantly
> reduce the options.
>
> Thus, Michael may be Canadian, but Canada isn't as friendly to
> private health insurance as he makes it out to be, either!
>
> If Canada's health care is so great, why did Newfoundland and
> Labrador Premier Danny Williams feel he needed to come to the United
> States for heart surgery, rather than wait in line for heart surgery
> as the typical Canadian who gets surgery in Canada would have to do?

I recall that he paid for it out of his own pocket. His explanation was
that by spending his own money on himself, he freed up a slot in the
Canadian system for some other patient. So wealth Canadians take
advantage of the US system in order to free up slots for poorer ones.
Hmm, now that Obamacare has been passed, everyone in Canada should be
very very nervous.

Note that there is a long tradition of federal and provincial premiers
and cabinet ministers seeking health care in the US.