[OT] - Net Neutrality Is Marxist?

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 18:57:50 MDT 2010

On 04/13/2010 06:45 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> alpheus.madsen at juno.com wrote:
>> In Canada, for example, you could buy
>> health insurance from a private entity, but since it's illegal for
>> you to do so there, someone could be sent to prison for it.
>
> As Canada does not actually have a socialized medicine program (like the
> NHS) but only a public health insurance program, private, supplemental
> health insurance is not only legal, but very common, and this dual
> system works quite well for Canadians (I know of which I speak).

I was going to reply to alpheus' email directly, but his client is so
broken, I didn't want to wrap his long lines for him, and seeing as
though you've already done it, I'll take my reply here.

The Canada Health Act of 1984 does not make private insurace, health
coverage or delivery illegal. Rather, there are a number of financial
disincentives for starting or joining such a practice (both for the
consumer and business). This can vary by province. Quebec made such an
attempt at making private practice illegal, but received a ruling from
the Canadian Supreme Court that their ban was unlawful. In Ontario,
where I lived, you can "opt-out" of OHIP, but you are still required to
pay taxes on the OHIP coverage, just like you are required to pay public
education tax here, even if your kids are home schooled.

So, short answer is no, you're wrong, you can not go to prison for
receiving health insurance from a private entity.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O