Net Neutrality Is Marxist?

alpheus.madsen at juno.com alpheus.madsen at juno.com
Tue Apr 13 17:21:07 MDT 2010

From: Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org>

>> You left off a third real hope:
>> 3.  Repeal the stupid local, state and federal laws that make
>> it so darn difficult to create real competition!
>
> I think it's the difficulty of real competition (from the cost
> of infrastructure) that cause the local, state, and federal laws,
> not the other way around.

This was the justification for subsidizing the transcontinental railroad, which turned into a big mess, which then resulted in heavy regulation of the railroads.  Yet there's one railroad, the Pacific Northwest, that took steps to do the infrastructure right, slowly grew (and encouraged settlements wherever it grew), and was a success--yet suffered from the laws that were supposed to "fix" the railroad.

This was described in "The Myth of the Robber Barons", which made a very good case that it was government subsidies, and later government regulation, that made a pretty good mess of things (and not just in railroads), rather than a lack of regulation.