[OT] - Net Neutrality Is Marxist?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 13:18:09 MDT 2010

On 04/13/2010 12:16 PM, alpheus.madsen at juno.com wrote:
> Obama's Health Care "Reform" (that is really almost the capstone of
> Government Take-over of Health Care that began in the 1940's) *is*
> the taking away of freedom, or what little freedom we have left. The
> reforms involved are going to push up *my* health care rates, which
> will then make it so that I couldn't afford them, which will then
> push me onto a plan *where I have to get government approval* for
> health care operations.  Where is the freedom in this?

Wandering way off in the weeds here, but your post proved my point
rather handily.  You're totally stuck on certain freedoms which you
claim will be lost while completely blind to other freedoms that have
been lost already.

Is the status quo really granting as much freedom as you think it is?

Is freedom something that can only be granted to you?

Now I personally don't love the bill, but the status quo restricts as
much freedom as it grants it.

> Furthermore, if I want to add a child to *my* plan, I would have to
> get government approval for it as well.  Again, how does this benefit
> society?  How does all this make us more free?

Oh really?  Citation needed (and not from Glenn Beck).  The amount of
disinformation circulating by the extremist--yes that is the right
word--right is very dishonest.

The freedom to actually get health insurance for folks who current can't
definitely makes those people more free.  Certainly the idea that I can
never be denied coverage for a preexisting condition that comes up
during a time I'm unemployed and without adequate coverage, is freedom
to me.  To be denied coverage takes away my freedom.

> What's wrong with making our own choices?  Sure, we're not always
> informed, but when we want to be, we can be!

While talking about freedom, I have to remember that in the LDS faith,
agency is defined as the choice between binding myself to eternal
obedience or eternal damnation.  Some choice.  To make sense of it we
have to look at the purpose of the choice and the consequences,
especially when they travel far beyond our own person.  That's where the
understanding of what freedom is starts to happen.

In the meantime we often talk about freedom in narrow ways so much that
we're completely blind to the forces that really are restricting
freedom, such as the fact that we as a society are giving into fear,
uncertainty, and doubt (from both the left and the right, as your post
demonstrates so clearly), and allowing things to happen in the name of
security that aren't quite right.  We're also fighting wasteful wars
that we can't win, etc.