Net Neutrality Is Marxist?

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Tue Apr 13 11:00:04 MDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 09:36:38PM -0600, Tod Hansmann wrote:

> My opinion on all this is simple:  If you don't like the way ISP X is
> doing something, leave ISP X.  If you don't think you have options, you
> just lost the game.  Have a view of the southern sky?  Congrats, you can
> get broadband via satellite from a number of vendors.

Sorry, I live in a basement.

> Have a phone
> line?  Congrats, you can get dial-up.

Sorry, I only have a cell phone.  And dial-up doesn't count anyway.

> Don't like that there's high
> latency, dns hijacking, slow speeds, P2P blocking, or some other thing
> you hate in all of your ISP options?  Well, shut up, put your money
> where your mouth is, and start your own ISP.

Now you're just being silly.

Anyway, I've looked for broadband options before, and in most places, my
vast array of options has consisted of Comcast and Qwest (and maybe
Digis or iProvo, but only in some locations).  Comcast and Qwest are
both terrible, in terms of connection quality and customer service.

Internet access is just like any other utility.  Setting up broadband
requires far too much capital for pretty much anyone to get involved
without the support of the government.  Since the government lets them
have a monopoly, it's best for consumers (and only fair) to impose
regulations.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/