Net Neutrality Is Marxist?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Apr 13 10:56:05 MDT 2010

Steven Alligood wrote:
> Government regulation, in general, is bad and looses a little more of
> our freedoms each and every time it happens.  It eliminates the benefits
> of the free market, and costs more money to do so.

Here's the crux of where we disagree. Government regulation is quite
often necessary and very beneficial. Can it be abused? Sure. That does
not mean that the principle is invalid and that we should toss out the
baby with the bathwater. I for one do appreciate that my meat is
inspected, gas pumps are tested for accuracy and schools have minimum
standards of education. These are things where incentives exist for
people to game the system and by regulating them we are all better off,
even if the USDA or Department of Education are imperfect.

The question then becomes, is the Internet something that needs to be
managed or is the market capable of taking care of itself. For the most
part yeah it does work OK, but we're seeing a trend away from the
traditionally open nature of the Internet and I personally see value in
creating incentives to correct that. Note that I didn't say regulation,
necessarily. If that's what it takes, that's what it takes. But a
government-run Internet monopoly isn't our only option.

Corey