Net Neutrality Is Marxist?

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Tue Apr 13 10:37:45 MDT 2010

On 04/13/2010 09:56 AM, Lonnie Olson wrote:

> We have 2 real hopes for these problems.
> 1. Municipal owned/run Fiber to the home (Utopia,iProvo)
> 2. Net Neutrality legislation to protect us in this current state of
> limited competition.

As soon as everyone starts believing that they cannot or will not do
without something, they have already lost and the companies win.  They
do everything they can to get people to believe that they have no
options; they then turn to the government and get them to regulate
something that the free market could have dealt with if people didn't
believe that they had no choice.

Example.  Cable TV.  People got to the point that they believed that
they could not live without their cable television, and rather than
voting with their wallets and either doing without or accepting the
realities of a free market, they turned to the government and got it
regulated.  Which, in the long run, got it to be more expensive.  Now,
the cable companies cannot raise their prices other than set amounts on
set schedules (which they will always do, it is now sanctioned to raise
their prices at certain times, and they can blame the government for
it).  They can also impose fees to cover their regulatory expenses,
meaning the consumer is the one that pays more for the expense of the
government saying they cannot charge more.  It's a loosing battle.

Ever been in a city where the cable company keeps changing?  It's part
of the big trade game the cable companies do now because of regulation.
Also, a lot of the cost of the cable TV is imposed by the government
(did you know that they pay almost as much in license fees to use radio
frequencies in a private spectrum network as those same frequencies cost
to license in the open airwaves? Thanks, FCC)

Government regulation, in general, is bad and looses a little more of
our freedoms each and every time it happens.  It eliminates the benefits
of the free market, and costs more money to do so.  All because people
get in their heads that they cannot do without the service.

And yes, if it's your job, then pick a place to live that has acceptable
service.  You still have options; don't whine just because you chose to
live in a remote location to lower your cost of living, then found that
you missed something you do not want to live without.  It all comes to
what is important to you; just don't think that your poor choices should
have to force government regulations on the rest of us.

-Steve