Net Neutrality Is Marxist?

alpheus.madsen at juno.com alpheus.madsen at juno.com
Mon Apr 12 22:23:34 MDT 2010

> Well, shut up, put your money where your mouth is, and start
> your own ISP.  No, you can't say it's a money problem.  Money's
> out there for this sort of thing, you just have to sell it to
> the right investors.  People will give you money for anything
> if you sell it right.  Can't sell it?  Find someone who can who
> will.  Think that's too much work?  Well, now we're at the real
> issue, aren't we.  Oh, laziness.

Of course, it isn't quite that simple:  government regulations often make it very difficult to start up something new, especially if you want to start out small, but get into a highly regulated industry.  A very good description of this, from a farmer's perspective, is given in a book called "Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal", by Joel Salatin.

I, for one, would like to see the radio spectrum completely opened up.  I first read about the idea of Open Spectrum a few months ago, and I was especially surprised at learning about technology that would allow multiple signals to be broadcast on the same frequency--and that, by having lots of receivers and lots of transmitters, it actually made the technology work better!  It would be especially good in cities, where every reflection off of a building counts as a transmitter.  The main difficulty with this technology is that it requires a lot of computing power, which would be difficult to put in tiny portable devices like cell phones.

Regulation prevents abuse, but it is also a burden that sometimes prevents competition as well.  I, for one, would like to see regulation cut back greatly, and to see subsidies of any sort removed altogether.