Net Neutrality Is Marxist?

Charles Curley charlescurley at
Mon Apr 12 15:23:08 MDT 2010

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:17:54 -0600
Steven Alligood <steve at> wrote:

> It should be illegal to put up advertising billboards, just because
> you don't like them?
> How about commercials on TV?  Let's make those illegal as well, how
> dare they put advertising in my shows?

Actually, not a bad idea; I might try watching broadcast TV again after
a 20 year hiatus.

Seriously, I don't think Robert's was to advertising but to an ISP
hijacking DNS service.

I think the concept of a common carrier enters here. A common carrier
simply schleps cargo, whether wheat and coal, or bits of data, without
discrimination: so much per ton or so much per megabyte. Here, I don't
think Sprint was acting as a common carrier.

I have no problem with an ISP or railway not being a common carrier,
but they should know that when they start mucking with customers'
cargo, they are going to get pushback. For one thing, a web site that
monitors and edits user content must meet a higher standard of good
taste than one that does not.

Also, they should make it clear to new and current users that that's
what they do. That Sprint was mucking with Robert's DNS without telling
him so was unacceptable.