Net Neutrality Is Marxist?

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 11:24:45 MDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Robert Ridge <RRidge at provo.utah.gov> wrote:
> It seems to me that this kind of behavior should be illegal.

That's the dumbest thing I've heard so far today.  (Don't feel TOO bad
- this is also the first email I read today.)

Aside from the obvious problems of making this, and only this, illegal
- which is difficult if not impossible - you're also saying that we
should stomp on the ability of a network owner to provide "value
added" services to their customers.  To you and I, the value added in
this specific instance is less than zero, but it's possible that "this
kind of behavior" (catching non-existent DNS requests and handling
them intelligently) might in the future be used in a way that does
benefit customers.  Unless, of course, it's illegal.

On the other hand, lying to customers about what you're doing with
their traffic (even if it was a simple misunderstanding on the part of
a level 1 techie) might be worth thinking about a little more.

-Dan