System comes to a halt on heavy disk I/O

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Apr 8 15:21:39 MDT 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:03:17 -0700
Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> I have Ubuntu 9.10, as updated, running:

> root at dzur:~# uname -a
> Linux dzur 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29 UTC
> 2009 i686 GNU/Linux root at dzur:~#
>
> When I run fairly disk intensive tasks, like copying tens of gigabytes
> to this machine, it slows to a crawl. Disk I/O slows down by two
> orders of magnitude.

I got an RMA from Western Digital and they cross shipped the
replacement disk. that has now been running for several weeks, and I
have not seen the symptoms since pulling data off the old drive.

Aaron will be happy to know that as I ended up re-installing Ubuntu
9.10 anyway, I decided to live dangerously and install 64 bit.