Possibly OT: Splitting Hairs Over GPL?

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 14:02:28 MDT 2010

On 04/07/2010 10:32 AM, Kimball Larsen wrote:
> I've got a question about the legal use of some software licensed under the GPL in conjunction with commercial software I'm writing.  In particular, I'd like to allow my commercial software installer to install a full copy of GhostScript, then have my commercial software make a command-line call to the installation of GhostScript to convert a PDF to a JPG.
>
> If you are to believe the Artifex website (owners of GhostScript) this is not allowed.
>
> If you are to believe the GPL website, this is allowed.
>
> Anyone have some experience or knowledge on this topic?

My understanding of the GPL says this is allowed. Further, my
understanding of the GPL says that writing software under the GPL
license and linking to proprietary licensed software is not allowed.
With that said, I don't know how the Linux kernel gets away with it.
Maybe I'm missing something crucial.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O