Possibly OT: Splitting Hairs Over GPL?

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Apr 7 10:59:17 MDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Kimball Larsen
<kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
> I've got a question about the legal use of some software licensed under the GPL in conjunction with commercial software I'm writing.  In particular, I'd like to allow my commercial software installer to install a full copy of GhostScript, then have my commercial software make a command-line call to the installation of GhostScript to convert a PDF to a JPG.
>
> If you are to believe the Artifex website (owners of GhostScript) this is not allowed.
>
> If you are to believe the GPL website, this is allowed.
>
> Anyone have some experience or knowledge on this topic?

No direct experience, but it is allowed, and you must provide a
channel for the end-user to obtain the full sources of GhostScript,
and place no additional limitations of the user's
use/development/sharing of the GhostScript distributed with your own
software.

--lonnie