Dansguardian Issues

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Sun Apr 4 00:17:59 MDT 2010

On a PLUG thread from March 27, Jon Jensen suggested that I add these two lines to my squid.conf to make it harder for sites to recognize that I am using Squid (and thus less likely that they will break just because of Squid):

header_access X-Forwarded-For deny all
header_access Via deny all

Perhaps it is the inclusion of those configuration parameters that allows my DG+Squid configuration to work with this site.

Richard

On Sat 3 April 2010 14:26:44 Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/03/2010 02:24 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> > On 04/03/2010 02:12 PM, jessie at confettiantiques.com wrote:
> >> I am pretty positive it is DG. I am running a squid proxy and have set it
> >> up to be a transparent proxy. As soon as I bypass the proxy (including
> >> DG), it works.
> >
> > I have several DG instances set up in various places.  Two are
> > DG->Squid, the other one is DG->Tinyproxy.  On the one instance that is
> > DG version 2.9.9.7 and TP and it's loading the site just fine.
> >
> > My other two setups, DG 2.8.0.6 and Squid, both don't work.
> >
> > This evidence would point to Squid as the problem, not DG.  I will do
> > more tests.
>
> Just did a test.  I bypassed DG and went straight for Squid.  The page
> came up blank.  So the problem definitely is squid.  I'm wondering if
> it's not time to replace squid with tinyproxy as the benefit of a
> caching proxy is not that great these days.
<snip>