Ubuntu 9.10 Bittorrents are flowing

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Oct 29 10:52:36 MDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 10:42:39AM -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does Ubuntu have a very small netboot ISO that you can use to install
> > directly off the net?  Seems very silly and wasteful to download an
> > entire DVD except for machines that are completely off-line.
> >
> > With pxe it's even easier.  I have only downloaded about 20 MB worth of
> > kernel and ramdisk to install Fedora for the last several years.  Net
> > installs are often faster than DVD too..
>
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/

I'm always surprised that netinstall images aren't publicized more.  For
anyone with a reasonably fast connection, netinstalling is much faster
than downloading a DVD, burning, and installing from DVD.  This is even
more true a few weeks after release, once 90% of the packages need to
get upgraded right after installation anyway. :)

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/