Ubuntu 9.10 Bittorrents are flowing

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Oct 29 09:13:24 MDT 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:06:00 -0600
Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Charles Curley wrote:
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors
>
> Does Ubuntu have a very small netboot ISO that you can use to install
> directly off the net?  Seems very silly and wasteful to download an
> entire DVD except for machines that are completely off-line.

Not that I know of. Gentoo and Debian have something similar, and they
are nice. However, Ubuntu is a fat distribution, so I expect much of
what's on the CD is installed. (Ubuntu provides CD-size images.)

Also, I would wonder how well the network installers would recover if
the network broke during the install.

> With pxe it's even easier.  I have only downloaded about 20 MB worth
> of kernel and ramdisk to install Fedora for the last several years.
> Net installs are often faster than DVD too..

Yup. I used to make the ISO image available on my network via NFS
(something else Ubuntu could use). Very fast!