ISP options

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Tue Oct 27 15:13:31 MDT 2009

> How is Rapidwave these days, anyone know?  Do they understand that
> Internet nodes should be peers, not mere consumers?

What on earth would make you believe that you are in any conceivable way
a peer to an Internet Service Provider?

Customers pay roughly $40/month to have Internet traffic in the range of
0 bit/sec up to their cap (8-10 Mbit/sec), but if they use their
bandwidth, they are only worth the money in the large grouping of
customers that makes profits from the averaging of customer usage.

Peers, on the other hand, share traffic and resources to the mutual
benefit of both parties, often for no monetary cost.

I get tired of home users constantly griping that they cannot constantly
use their full bandwidth.  Let me clue you in.  Bandwidth costs money.
Most ISPs are paying on the order of $10 - $50 per megabit.  If you are
using your full bandwidth all the time, you are costing them between $80
and $500 per month, not counting the infrastructure, support staff,
local loops charges, etc.  In other words, they loose money on you.
That is not a viable business model.

Don't expect your ISP to smile and be happy that you are using more
resources than you are paying for.  Go put a server into a data center
like Center7, Fibernet, or even Xmission, and pay the rack, power and
bandwidth charges for what you actually use, and everyone will be more
than happy to help you run whatever you want to run.

At home, you are definitely a consumer.  In a data center, you may one
day grow to be big enough that someone will consider you a peer.

-Steve