thawte freemail

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Oct 14 16:14:22 MDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Brandon Stout <bms at mscis.org> wrote:
> I hadn't heard about this until you mentioned it.  Did Verisign buy out
> Thawte?  I almost always use pgp anyway, and most people I know use
> pgp.  That's my experience.

Yes, Verisign bought Thawte a very long time ago.  That is how Mark
Shuttleworth got most of his money for space flights and Ubuntu.

It's just now that they are giving up on the Web of Trust thing that
allows us to get free personal email certificates.  Totally sucks.

As for PGP, I have to try to track down plugins for my mail client of
the week.  S/MIME is supported in almost every mail client already.
Also, I hate seeing email messages signed with PGP inline.  You know
you can change your plugin to use MIME instead, so it just looks like
an attachment.  ;)

--lonnie