[OT] MMA Fight

Joshua Fenio std3rr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 19:20:02 MDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Matthew Frederico <mfrederico at gmail.com>wrote:

> You doing straight Brazilian Jujitsu or do you have a stand-up premise?
> I am doing Krav Maga in Lehi - we went over the basics of ground fighting
> and I found I quite enjoyed it.

While I was in the Army, we trained in Krav Maga (we were in Israel briefly
before Iraq) - I don't think it's particularly suited for MMA.  While it
does train the basics, it's mostly oriented towards adjusting to confusing
and alien situations, and using the environment available to you to disarm /
neutralize your enemy.  I've been doing some BJJ / Muay Thai work while I
was living in Nevada, and I certainly don't think my (albeit brief) Krav
Maga background has assisted that much.

It's definitely fun though - I went through many schools in the Army, and
none were as brutal as my Krav Maga training.   But insofar as MMA is
concerned, I don't think it's very applicable.

Anyways, I'd love some advice in good training gyms here.  I just got back
after a near 3 year hiatus, and wasn't too into MMA / martial arts right
after I got out of the military, which is when I lived here first.  I've
been looking into the Muay Thai Institute, which is located nearby where I
live.  I visited Elite Performance a couple times, but they seemed much more
focused on grappling, whereas I'd like to focus on my striking training.
 Any suggestions?

-
Josh / stderr