command line setup of 802.11g wpa

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Oct 13 16:35:58 MDT 2009

OK, I'm confused (not unusual). I have an access point, and Network
Manager links to it just fine. However, I'd like to script it so I can
use the access point with live CDs and in an emergency without NM.

The AP uses WPA pre-shared key, and the WPA algorithm is TKIP. Of
course I know what the shared key is. I have part of what I need with
iwconfig, but not the key or how to tell the card to use WPA and TKIP,
or the renewal period (if that's even relevant for a device that isn't
an access point).