Open Calendar Solutions

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Wed Oct 7 22:57:45 MDT 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 5:01 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I am changing jobs soon, and I've come to rely on (shudder) my
> company's Microsoft Outlook/Exchange for my calendaring needs I store
> both personal and work-related calendar information there. I'd like to
> get rid of this closed solution once and for all and move to an
> alternative that meets the following requirements:
>
> 1. Easily synchronizable between applications (iCal, Windows Mobile
> Phone, iPhone, Google Calendar, etc)
> 2. Good longevity. I don't want to have to write magical shell scripts
> every 6 months because the format changed.
> 3. Can ingest my calendar data from Outlook.
>
> What do you suggest?

Have you looked into CalendarServer[1]?

It's an open source implementation of a calendaring server using
caldav and other goodies.  It is developed by the folks at Apple, but
runs on lots of other platforms.  We use it at our office running on
an Ubuntu box for shared calendaring support amongst all our staff. I
did not do the install, but was told it's not difficult at all[2].

I'd be interested to know if you use CalendarServer or if you wind up
finding another solution.

Good luck!

[1]: http://trac.calendarserver.org/
[2]:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CalendarServer