Memory

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Tue Oct 6 12:04:25 MDT 2009

On Tue Oct 6 2009 11:44:15 Gary Thornock wrote:
> --- On Tue, 10/6/09, Robert G. Paxman <rpaxman at byu.edu> wrote:
> > Most often I have found that crucial does not even make the top
> > ten for price.  There are several other places that provide
> > memory at better prices and stand behind it with a lifetime
> > warranty.
>
> Agreed.  Crucial memory is generally very good, but so are
> Kingston and Corsair, and the warranties are comparable.  I
> generally end up buying whichever of those has the best price
> at newegg.

+1 for Kingston (and thier ValueRam brand), and Corsair.

I might add APacer is decent as well.

It may be helpful in all of this to understand how the memory market operates.
There are only half a dozen or so actual memory manufacturers on the planet.
There are hundreds of memory _module_ makers. These guys all must buy the
chips for their modules from the same sources.

What distinguishes memory is:
1) most of the guys that make the chips also make and sell modules

2) the chips are tested and sorted ("binned") according to quality, and sold
at different prices

3) the memory _module_ makers can both choose the quality of chips to stuff on
their modules, _and_ design higher or lower quality modules (you can't just
put the chips on a module and run traces, you have to lay it out and add
capacitance to match impedence, etc.--this in combination with the quality of
chips determines the speeds at which it can operate)

4) the business itself--breadth of parts they stock, quality control (how well
they test and validate that their parts meet the specs), customer service,
warranty/return service, etc.

So, Crucial is good, because it's just Micron's module brand--and since they
manufacture the chips, they stuff their modules with the highest grade of
their own chips. Thus if they say it meets the specs, it meets the specs (and
usually by a good margin).