Extending a subnet

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Sun Oct 4 09:46:55 MDT 2009

On 10/4/2009 1:32 AM, Mike Lovell wrote:
> you might want to do a
> tcp dump on the network and see if much traffic is going to the
> broadcast address and then try to figure out if traffic to the broadcast
> breaking will cause application problems.

The traffic tcpdump shows are:

* directed TCP and UDP traffic
* arp requests packets
* 802.1d packets - spanning tree
* UDP NBT broadcast packets (ports 137,138)
* UDP rwhod broadcast packet (port 513)

Arp is lower level then IP, right?  It is sent to all ports of the
switch, not to the IP broadcast address, right?

802.1d is also lower level then IP, right?  Will 802.1d spanning tree be
broken by this change?  And yes, we have several switches on this one
subnet.

This network is a "test" network, and not a production network.  So as
long as the only problem will be communication between the old
configured servers, and the new configured servers, this is acceptable.
All of the systems need to be able to access the Internet, and systems
within the old config need to be able to speak to other systems within
the old config.

Is there anything else I should check?

Thank you for your help,
Kenneth