Extending a subnet

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Sun Oct 4 00:06:45 MDT 2009

Hi fellow PLUGers,

Hopefully a quick basic Network Management question:

I have a private network behind a NAT switch with a 10.0.0.0 network
address and a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.  I wish to expand the subnet to
255.255.0.0.  If on the NAT switch I were to just expand out the subnet,
would it break anything?

My expectation is the current servers would continue to function as is.
I could then add new servers, with the expectation that they wouldn't be
able to speak to servers with the old subnet mask, until updated.  I
could then slowly update the old configured servers as needed.  All
servers would then continue to work as expected, and will continue to
have Internet access.

Would this break anything else?  Or is my expectation correct?

Thank you,
Kenneth