Thanks for the Memories

Joe C v2joecr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 16:30:30 MST 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Charles Curley
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> Questions:
>
> * Where is the rest of my 4 GB? I paid good money for those 641MB!

My best guess is you are loosing memory to I/O address unless you are
running the 64-bit version of the OS. I remember getting calls like
that back when I did support for Dell with customers on the 32-bit
versions of Windows XP. Like why is Windows saying that I only have
3.6 GB of RAM when I have 4 when I ordered it.

> * Why the gap between the memory chunks? Not that it matters, Linux
>  seems able to use them anyway.

My best guess is a 32 bit version of the OS was installed, sorry
that's the only thing that I can think of.

> * I suspect I have a bug in the firmware code that sets up the memory
>  speed. Other than a firmware upgrade, is there anything I can do
>  about it?
>
> Any other thoughts?

Are you running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Ubuntu?