Postgres in Utah

Doran L. Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Wed Nov 18 18:03:23 MST 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 16:10:26 Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Actually mysql has triggers.

Yes, MySQL has a lot of these things... now. But for a long, long time, it did
not. Before the InnoDB table type came around, most of these features were
impossible. I think Sasha has nailed it in his description of the two RDBMSs:
MySQL was hacked together with features on an as-needed basis. PostgreSQL was
built from the ground up with fairly robust relational database requirements.
Things like transactions, sub-selects, stored procedures, etc. have been part
of the product for a long, long time, if not from inception.

With this in mind, why are people drawn to MySQL over PostgreSQL? I've asked
myself this question for years. I maintain and develop w/ both backends and I
find PostgreSQL easier to administer. I guess the pg_hba.conf file can be a
hurdle for some people. Is the lack of something like phpMyAdmin a deterrent?
I've never used GUI or web-based tools to interact with either PostgreSQL or
MySQL.

--
Doran L. "Fozz" Barton <fozz at iodynamics.com>
Open-source developer, sysadmin, consultant, and all-around geeky dude