Long uptimes.

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Wed Nov 18 09:19:44 MST 2009

On 11/17/2009 08:20 PM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> Derek Davis wrote:
>
>> Ha, that's nothing. I once had a Windows machine up for 2 weeks _straight_.
>>
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

wow.  that is significant  in that their either

1) only gather windows statistics (with a token irix and linux server)

or

2) they only gather data from a datacenter that is predominantly windows

or

3) Linux/unix sysadmins are generally smart enough to patch their
systems; windows admins are not.

And I still do not believe the actual data as a system uptime.  I have
worked sites that have both windows and unix running the  same type of
system, and the lowly 5 year old unix box did ten times the traffic of
the windows *cluster*, and had twice the uptime as the *cluster*.

My guess is that the windows servers listed at the above url are
actually clusters, that allow upgrades, reboots and testing of one at a
time offline.  Not true uptime at all.