Postgres in Utah

Joseph Hall joseph at thatworks.com
Tue Nov 17 19:31:54 MST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Jim Wright <Jwright at perelson.com> wrote:
> Are there many companies in Utah using Postgres? I have been trying to
> do a search for companies doing work with it on a large scale and have
> only found a handful.   Backcountry and EMC and a few others and that is
> about it.  Why aren't a lot of companies using it?

I've been using MySQL for years. At first it was because that's what
was being used at whatever company I was at, and now it's because it's
what I know and it's still what's being used at whatever company I'm
at. Everything I've read about Postgres tells me that it's better than
MySQL in almost every way*, but it seems that so many companies in
Utah are so used to MySQL, and they've been using it so long, that
they can't find a good reason to switch.

If it helps, I have been teaching myself Postgres, in what little time
I have to spare. But since I'm at yet another MySQL company, I won't
have an opportunity to use it much at the moment.

* This is not meant to incite a flame war, but I would be curious to
hear what Mr Pachev has to say about this.

--
Joseph
http://blog.josephhall.com/