Ubuntu encrypted user directory fubarred

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Nov 14 18:02:10 MST 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:55:05 -0700
Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Charles Curley wrote:
> > It's very readable as root.
>
> If /etc it's not readable to a non-root user you have some very
> strange permission issues.

I agree. I conjecture that's a byproduct of not being able to mount the
encrypted stuff as part of login. Experimentation has shown that if I
boot a computer and ssh in, the encrypted stuff is not available. I did
not check access to /etc explicitly, but I don't recall problems doing
that.

> > None the less, it's a new hard drive.
>
> You're right.  Sounds like it's not a disk failure.  But being a new
> drive has very little to do with a failure.  It's very possible to
> lose new drives right off the bat.  Apparently it's best to proof a
> drive for a month before using it to store you data.  At least that's
> what Google does.  Not sure if that means to just spin it for a
> month, or read and write random data to it.

I've rebooted under finix. fsck -f is happy with the partitions. I'm
running badblocks in read-only mode on the relevant partitions now.