Geographical Load Balancing

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Thu Nov 12 23:45:23 MST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:19 PM, William Attwood <wattwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>   How does one accomplish geographical load balancing? With that in mind,
> what about geographical failover?  Example, I have a data center (DC) in
> Dallas, and another in Salt Lake.  How do I re-direct traffic if Dallas goes
> offline?

Maybe the recently open sourced Traffic Server from Yahoo (from
Inktomi) could play a role in a larger solution.

"""
Today, Yahoo is excited to open source Traffic Server software that we
rely on extensively. An Apache Incubator project, Traffic Server is an
extremely high performance Web proxy-caching server, and has a robust
plugin API that allows you to modify and extend its behavior and
capabilities... As an HTTP web proxy, Traffic Server sits between
clients and servers and adds services like caching, request routing,
filtering, and load balancing. Web sites frequently use a caching
server to improve response times by locally storing web pages, web
services, or web objects like images, JavaScript, and style sheets,
and to relieve the burden of creating these pages/services from their
front and back end infrastructure.
"""

With the routing bit you might be able to create a mini CDN.  Like I
said, it's probably not the whole solution but it might be part of it.

And no, I've never used it :)

Good luck,
Gabe

http://ostatic.com/blog/guest-post-yahoos-cloud-team-open-sources-traffic-server