Geographical Load Balancing

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Thu Nov 12 09:14:41 MST 2009

On 11/11/2009 04:24 PM, Corey Edwards wrote:
> How apropos that you asked this today when Paul Vixie wrote an article
> just to address this very topic.
>
> http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1647302
>
> In my experience, solving this problem turns out to be exceptionally
> difficult. My few naive attempts at it have not been shining examples.
> Anycast is pretty cool, but works best (exclusively?) with stateless
> protocols such as DNS.
>
> Corey

Yes, anycast does much better with stateless.  I was meaning to use the
anycast to answer your dns from the closest (online) geographical point,
whcih would answer with it's local http service (non-anycast).  If the
closest data center were offline, the next closest anycast DNS would
answer with it's own http farm.