Geographical Load Balancing

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Nov 11 16:24:09 MST 2009

Steven Alligood wrote:
> On 11/11/2009 03:35 PM, William Attwood wrote:
>> If one site goes offline, won't that mean 50% of my traffic also goes
>> offline, depending on which IP DNS feeds back?  I may have misunderstood
>> you.
>>

> No, the dns for those particular subdomains have very short TTLs (like,
> 5 seconds), so they expire quickly and have to be looked up again.  So
> if your site goes down between one web page serve and the next, it gets
> the DNS entry for the site that is still online.

How apropos that you asked this today when Paul Vixie wrote an article
just to address this very topic.

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1647302

In my experience, solving this problem turns out to be exceptionally
difficult. My few naive attempts at it have not been shining examples.
Anycast is pretty cool, but works best (exclusively?) with stateless
protocols such as DNS.

Corey