Google releases the Go language

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 16:16:37 MST 2009

Richard Esplin <richard-lists at esplins.org> writes:

> Has anyone here played with Go yet?
>
> I have been hankering for the easy development practices of a
> scripting language like Python or Ruby in a language that compiles to
> fast binary code.

I haven't played with Go, but I've read a bit about it.  I don't think
it really has much in common with Python or Ruby at all; it's much more
like C, but with a lot of warts removed and some powerful new features
attached.  Oddly, one of its primary features is that the *compiler* for
it is really fast, which I guess can be a big issue when you've got a
gigantic C++ codebase.  If it catches on, it'll also be easy to make
fancy IDEs for it.

> Anyone know of an alternative that provides the best of all worlds?

The D language provides something similar, though it's more like
C++/Java than it is like C.  If you want to move beyond the C family,
OCaml produces blazing fast executables (so long as you don't need
multi-core threading) and OCaml language skills translate pretty easily
to the .net/mono platform via F#, if that interests you.

If by 'fast binary code' you don't mean 'fast binary code in a small,
redistributable executable file' you can add various Common Lisp
implementations, Java, .net stuff, etc. which all have some form of
optimizing compilers.

I don't think there's anything that qualifies as the best of all worlds,
though.

                --Levi