(PLUG) Looking for Math Work

alpheus.madsen at juno.com alpheus.madsen at juno.com
Tue Nov 10 10:16:24 MST 2009

Dear Provo Linux Users Group,

For several months I have been working as a web developer, a research assistant, and a software engineer.  My goal has been to do these things part-time, and then work on mathematics in my spare time.  So far, though, I have run into two problems:  I do not make enough money yet to do this; and, I do not have the time to work on mathematics.  I have decided that I need to pursue mathematical work!

I am especially attracted to pure mathematics, and especially math with a geometric component.  Among my interests, I would expect the following to be most applicable to mathematical work:

    -- linear algebra, matrices, vectors
    -- quaternions, and dual quaternions
    -- algebraic topology
    -- polygon approximation
    -- finite element analysis

I have also considered several industries that would potentially use these skills:

    -- computer graphics
    -- computer games
    -- engineering firms
    -- architecture firms
    -- financial analysis (or so I've heard)

In looking for mathematical work, I have several questions I would propose to PLUG.  First, any ideas of what kinds of work I could look for?  Second, are there any other industries I should look into?  Third, are there specific companies I should look into in Utah Valley?  (I'll give bonus points for people I can contact in those companies, unless they are in Human Resources. :-)

Recently I've started to learn Haskell and Lisp.  These languages are highly mathematical in nature, so I would almost consider software development using these languages as mathematical work!

Thanks for answering my questions!

Sincerely,
Alpheus Madsen.