Looking for Wiki software with good access control and security

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Nov 3 12:32:31 MST 2009

Michael Torrie wrote:
> Does anyone know of anything that would fit the bill?  MediaWiki does
> offer some of this, but access control is very manual
> (LocalSettings.php) and very coarse.  Security and access control is not
> something that MediaWiki was designed to be, which is understandable
> given that it was built for wikipedia.

Confluence seems to be annoyingly good at access control:

http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/

I say "annoyingly good" because in the environment where I used it,
people were often overprotective with their wiki pages and locked out
people who ought to be able to view or edit their pages.

Shane