Looking for Wiki software with good access control and security

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 11:52:07 MST 2009

Trying to find information on Wikis is, to put it mildly, frustrating.
This is a good reason why one should never actually use "wiki" in a url
that is intended to be search engine friendly.

Anyway, I'm looking for a Wiki system that is designed from the
beginning to have strong security and access controls.  I have various
internal research groups and want to be able to set up areas that they
can collaboratively edit, but other groups normally cannot edit or even
read their wiki.  Some pages should be designated as readable to others.
 And in some cases, different groups may collaborate on a page or set of
subpages.  Of course I'd tie all this into CAS for authentication and
LDAP for group information.  Having the ability to easily upload media
files (jpgs, small movies, etc) is also important.

Does anyone know of anything that would fit the bill?  MediaWiki does
offer some of this, but access control is very manual
(LocalSettings.php) and very coarse.  Security and access control is not
something that MediaWiki was designed to be, which is understandable
given that it was built for wikipedia.

There are a couple of Drupal-based options I'm looking at, but not sure
just yet how well they support this kind of thing.

Michael