Facebook Job Opportunities

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Nov 3 11:15:22 MST 2009

Some of you may remember me from back when I wasn't too busy to engage
in our perennial flamewars. I now work at Facebook and it is definitely
the coolest job I've ever had. We have almost all the same perks as
Google, but we're smaller and more agile. See
http://facebook.com/careers for more information.

One of the recruiters asked me recently where they can find more people
with a background like mine (a mix of *nix sysadmin and computer science
skills), and I said "well I know a bunch of people in Utah who are like
me." So she asked me to pass along this job posting. Unfortunately we
don't have an office in Utah, but if you're even slightly open to
relocation read on:

"Facebook is seeking talented operations engineers to join the Site
Reliability Engineering team. The ideal candidate will have strong
communication skills, a passion for tinkering with Linux, and an almost
insane fondness for fast-paced, seat-of-your-pants troubleshooting and
crisis management. The position is full-time and is based in our main
office in Palo Alto. This position reports to the lead of Site
Reliability Engineering.

Responsibilities
*Monitor the stability and performance of the website
*Remotely troubleshoot and diagnose hardware problems
*Debug issues with Linux software, applications and network
*Resolve technical challenges encountered in LAMP technologies
*Develop and maintain monitoring tools and automation systems
*Predict and respond to utilization variances across multiple datacenters
*Identify and triage all outage related events
*Facilitate communication, coordinate escalation, and work with subject
matter experts to implement critical fixes
*Automate and streamline processes

Requirements
*5 years+ Linux support/sys admin experience in an Internet operations
environment
*BA/BS in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
*Working knowledge of Linux, TCP/IP, Apache and mySQL
*Experience working with network management systems and monitoring
tools, such as Nagios, Ganglia and Cacti
*Competency in Shell, PHP, Perl or Python. C is a plus
*Solid understanding of web services architecture and commonly employed
technologies
*A sense of urgency in responding to and resolving critical issues that
relate to the performance of the site and/or core infrastructure
*Excellent verbal and written communication skills
*Participation in a shifted coverage schedule, including occasional
evenings shifts

If interested, please send your resume to Michelle Bostock
mbostock-at-facebook.com"

Or you can contact me (hans at fugal.net) with any questions or resumes.
Although this posting is for SREs, we are also hiring software engineers
if that's more your thing.