Two routers

Kyle Waters unum at unum5.org
Wed May 27 11:15:53 MDT 2009

Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant) wrote:
> The SMC gateway device is the cable modem.. The two wrt54g routers
> attach to it.. The cable comes in and attaches to the SMC business class
> modem/router.. But it's set to just pass through, no routing..

Ah I understand now.  I have one of those.....

So if you go to whatismyip.com from a computer connet to each wrt54g you
get two different ip addresses?  You see the wrt54g's will each have two
ips.  An internal ip and an external ip.  They use the external ip to
talk to everything on the smc side of the network and the internal ip to
talk to everything on the other side.  So they will even use the
external ip to talk to each other.

So you basically have two different internal networks and you'll have to
set the the wrt54g with the printer(wrt54ga) on it to do portforwarding
on port 631(you will probably want to restrict it to the external ip of
the other wrt54g(wrt54gb), and wrt54ga's internal network).  Then you
can set your wife's laptop to use the external ip of wrt54ga to print.

I really don't recommend you do this.

Kyle