95th Percentile Bandwidth Monitoring

Jake Pollmann jake.pollmann at gmail.com
Wed May 27 09:11:43 MDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Kenneth Burgener
<kenneth at mail1.ttak.org> wrote:
> Many data centers bill on the 95th percentile.  Might anyone have a
> suggestion for a good 95th percentile bandwidth monitoring tool?  I would

I'd recommend implementing Cacti and collect SNMP statistics from your
switchports rather than your firewalls.  I know that at least two of
the datacenters in the Wasatch Front use Cacti for reporting and
billing.  Cacti also has a threshold plugin that can alert you if you
exceed and return to set points.

You should also make sure the package you choose uses the same method
as your service providers to calculate the 95th Percentile.  There are
at least four different 95th Percentile variants that I can think of
so read the fine print.  My company commissioned one of the main Cacti
developers to implement our exact 95th%.  They are quite nice to work
with.

HTH,

Jake Pollmann