Gentoo++

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 20:43:19 MDT 2009


Stuart Jansen wrote:--
I haven't smoked for 1 year, 3 months and 21 hours, saving 4,558.35
cigarettes and $722.49 .
> On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 16:22 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
>   
>> I never got the VNC stuff to work well on Fedora, but that could be my
>> problem. Now, if I could get the ncurses version of Anaconda to show up
>> on my laptop, that would be nice. The ncurses version is more flexible
>> if a bit more awkward than the GUI version.
>>     
>
> Actually, that isn't true.
>
> If you're talking about YaST, some of the ncurses interfaces are so
> awkward I'd call them cruel, not flexible. And IIRC, recent version of
> YaST do not provide all the options in ncurses that the GUI provides.
>
> Assuming you're talking about Anaconda, the ncurses version is less
> flexible. For example, ncurses Disk Druid does RAID but not LVM, whereas
> the GUI can do both RAID and LVM. Unless you count the command line as
> part of the ncurses interface, but nothing about the GUI prevents you
> from using the command line.
>
> Don't get too attached to the ncurses interface. As a part of major
> changes to Anaconda for F11, the text mode installer has been made very
> bare bones. If you need hand holding, use the GUI. If you're building a
> bunch of servers, use kickstart. If you're a whiny power user, suck it
> up and use the GUI.
>  
>   
>> My attitude is: if you have wireless on your network, assume it's
>> cracked. Which means I'm not wild about shipping my root password over
>> telnet
>>     
>
> Cross over cable.
>
>   
>> Also, ssh does a better job of bringing the server to you than telnet
>> does. That is, the local integration is better. Case in point, X
>> tunneling. No need to fiddle with xhost (not that that's relevant to
>> gentoo's installation process).
>>     
>
> Or any of the other installers, so your argument is a red herring.
>
>   
>> SSH access means using emacs' tramp mode on the target. So I can use my
>> full up laptop installation of emacs to edit files on the target even
>> while running the minimal installation CD. It's like editing a local
>> file except it's actually in the target. Tramp mode can use telnet,
>> but I haven't tried it. 
>>     
>
> This argument only makes sense if you're installing Gentoo. If you're
> installing Fedora/RHEL/openSUSE/SLES, trying to configuring the system
> while packages are being installed is sure to end in pain. (Trust me,
> I've tried.)
>
> Once the system has finished installing, you can do whatever your evil
> emacsy heart desires.
>
>   
It's all about the headless install, Gentoo is king, once you get your
SSH up and running, you can unplug from the target box, and never look
back, screen and vim is all you need to get installed and configured.
What's more, upgrading, with RH, Fedora, SuSE, etc upgrading from a
command line is extremely cumbersome and dangerous, Fedora's
documentation strongly advises against this.. Ubuntu can upgrade
headless, but you're still prone to much grief. Gentoo on the other
hand, a quick once over on your USE flags, and portage takes care of all
updates, usually without issue, and i the event of a problem, you still
never need to use anything more than screen and vim over SSH.

This being a discussion of installation, I can say, I love the idea of
being able to screen -x onto an installation from anywhere. And besides,
why use a GUI when a command line is faster?? ;-)



More information about the PLUG mailing list