Gentoo++

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri May 22 17:30:55 MDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 16:22 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> I never got the VNC stuff to work well on Fedora, but that could be my
> problem. Now, if I could get the ncurses version of Anaconda to show up
> on my laptop, that would be nice. The ncurses version is more flexible
> if a bit more awkward than the GUI version.

Actually, that isn't true.

If you're talking about YaST, some of the ncurses interfaces are so
awkward I'd call them cruel, not flexible. And IIRC, recent version of
YaST do not provide all the options in ncurses that the GUI provides.

Assuming you're talking about Anaconda, the ncurses version is less
flexible. For example, ncurses Disk Druid does RAID but not LVM, whereas
the GUI can do both RAID and LVM. Unless you count the command line as
part of the ncurses interface, but nothing about the GUI prevents you
from using the command line.

Don't get too attached to the ncurses interface. As a part of major
changes to Anaconda for F11, the text mode installer has been made very
bare bones. If you need hand holding, use the GUI. If you're building a
bunch of servers, use kickstart. If you're a whiny power user, suck it
up and use the GUI.

> My attitude is: if you have wireless on your network, assume it's
> cracked. Which means I'm not wild about shipping my root password over
> telnet

Cross over cable.

> Also, ssh does a better job of bringing the server to you than telnet
> does. That is, the local integration is better. Case in point, X
> tunneling. No need to fiddle with xhost (not that that's relevant to
> gentoo's installation process).

Or any of the other installers, so your argument is a red herring.

> SSH access means using emacs' tramp mode on the target. So I can use my
> full up laptop installation of emacs to edit files on the target even
> while running the minimal installation CD. It's like editing a local
> file except it's actually in the target. Tramp mode can use telnet,
> but I haven't tried it.

This argument only makes sense if you're installing Gentoo. If you're
installing Fedora/RHEL/openSUSE/SLES, trying to configuring the system
while packages are being installed is sure to end in pain. (Trust me,
I've tried.)

Once the system has finished installing, you can do whatever your evil
emacsy heart desires.

using enough of it." - Chris Maden