Gentoo Minimal Install CD & USB HIDs

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed May 20 15:25:13 MDT 2009

On Wed, 20 May 2009 14:53:51 -0600 (MDT)
"Matthew Walker" <mwalker at kydance.net> wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 2:44 pm, Charles Curley wrote:
> > Just for the halibut, I thought I'd try Gentoo on one of my FIT-PC
> > 1s. (http://www.fit-pc.com/new/fit-pc-1-0-specifications.html) They
> > use USB for the keyboard and rodent. I pulled in the minimal
> > installation CD, burned it, and booted. The boot process works just
> > fine. I can use the command line in isolinux to boot an appropriate
> > kernel with options. Once the kernel boots, the keyboard no longer
> > works. I don't see anything obvious in the boot options. Is there a
> > known workaround for this?
>
> That's odd. They must have a very non-standand USB chipset in the
> FIT. I've always had USB keyboards work just fine with the minimal CD.

root at chaffee:/var/cache/apt-cacher# lspci | grep -i usb
00:0f.4 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] CS5536 [Geode
companion] OHC (rev 02) 00:0f.5 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices
[AMD] CS5536 [Geode companion] EHC (rev 02)
root at chaffee:/var/cache/apt-cacher#

Ubuntu, including the alternative installation and finnix have no
problem with it.

> Could you try the live CD, and see if that has better driver support?

Pulling it in now, thanks.