Need help decrypting word doc

Andy Bradford amb-plugg at bradfords.org
Tue May 19 21:40:41 MDT 2009

Thus said "Jared W. Robinson" on Tue, 19 May 2009 06:05:47 MDT:

> My grandmother has been working on an obituary for my grandfather (who
> is still with us), but somehow  it got encrypted, and she doesn't know
> what the password  is. I'm looking for someone who  can decrypt it for
> me.

Is the file  encrypted or merely password protected? If  the latter, you
could use strings to extract out the data. Otherwise, Nick suggested you
find a  temporary copy... what  about using something like  sleuthkit to
mine your hard drive? Or you could use some of the tools in Hiren's boot
CD to extract the data. Basically, any file recovery tools might be able
to  locate an  extra  copy. A  lot  might depend  on  whether Word  just
overwrites blocks,  or if it creates  temporary copies as it  works on a
file.  How much time do you have to recover the file?

Andy
  9:40pm  up 45 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.05, 1.10, 1.15