Oracle to purchase Sun Microsystems?

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Tue May 19 13:46:04 MDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 08:49, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> Thank you for that good explanation.
>
> I was researching more about this issue and it appears that there are
> already forks of MySQL out there.  I found a product called "Drizzle"
> which is a fork of the MySQL 6 code.

Dan Hanks and I attended the MySQL conference in San Jose. The first day of
the conference was the day the acquisition was announced. Coincidentally, we
were invited to the executive briefing and got some important background
information regarding MySQL, Sun, and Oracle. The truth is, no one knows what
will happen. And that probably includes Oracle executives. I got the
impression that MySQL was not a major item of discussion, and in fact was
hardly mentioned at all. The main focus was Java and some of the larger
aspects of the Sun product base.

Drizzle is a very interesting project. We attended several Drizzle
presentations. For those of you who remember Jay Pipes (he came out last
year), he is a lead developer on this project. Drizzle is very exciting, but
not from a 'fork' of MySQL perspective. It offers some very specific technical
advantages. Keep in mind that Drizzle is a Sun driven project. Nearly everyone
working on it is a Sun employee.

In my opinion (and everyone has an opinion on this), I'd be more worried about
Oracle killing tiny projects at Sun like Drizzle than killing business
producing products like MySQL.

-Ryan